How to join the Kendo Association at the University of Texas (KAUT)
Formerly the University of Texas Kendo Association (UTKA), the university student organization has been restarted this Fall semester 2023 and organized under the name, Kendo Association at the University of Texas (KAUT). Regular Saturday practices will start on September 16, from 9:30am to 11:00am at either the Austin Recreation Center OR at a location on campus (as available). KAUT students are also invited to attend our regular AKD Thursday evening practices (see below). Refer to this website for our updated practice schedule, including special events, demonstrations, and tournaments.
Membership dues for KAUT are $50/semester or $85/academic year, with a current and valid student ID. Email us at email@example.com for payment instructions.
Complete this waiver form and bring it with you to your first practice.
How to join Austin Kendo Doshikai (AKD)
Austin Kendo Doshikai (“AKD”). AKD is led by Tetsuo Komizu, Kendo Kyoshi Nanadan (7-dan), who has been studying kendo for over 55 years and teaching kendo in Texas for nearly 40 years.
Our Sunday and Thursday practices are held at PURE Yoga Texas (Downtown Austin) at 506 Oakland Ave, Austin TX 78703. It is located between Mopac (Loop 1) and the Downtown Whole Foods Market, between 5th and 6th streets. Our combined AKD and KAUT Saturday practice is held at the Austin Recreation Center at 1301 Shoal Creek Blvd, Austin TX 78701.
Refer to this website for our updated practice schedule, including special events, demonstrations, and tournaments.
For new students to AKD, it is best to attend either a Thursday or Saturday practice (arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled start time for orientation).
For out of town visitors, we welcome you to attend any of our practices with advance notice. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org ahead of time with any questions.
BEFORE YOUR FIRST PRACTICE:
1. Complete this waiver form and bring it with you.
2. Watch this video to familiarize yourself with manners (reiho) and basic principles of kendo.
PURCHASING EQUIPMENT, FEDERATION MEMBERSHIP AND AKD MEMBERSHIP DUES
3. After you practice several times and are committed to pursuing kendo, the next step is to purchase a keikogi and hakama, shinai, and bokuto. CLICK HERE FOR A BASIC STARTER SET. Let us know before you purchase to ensure proper sizing.
4. All AKD members must join the All United States Kendo Federation (AUSKF) and the Southwest Kendo & Iaido Federation (SWKIF) with annual dues for the annual period April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024. This is required for insurance purposes and for federation events and rank testing. Register at auskf.sport80.com and let us know that you have completed this step. In addition, download and complete the following AUSKF waiver form.
5. Finally, after you have completed all of the above steps, AKD membership dues are requested via PayPal to email@example.com.
- Adults 21 and over – $40/month or $200 for six months paid upfront.
- All others 20 and under – $25/month or $120 for six months paid upfront.